Banana, Walnut and LSA Muffins

I always have a batch of home-made muffins made and in the freezer - I find they go a lot faster with two monkeys now! They provide a fast, easy and healthy snack which I can grab while on the go, and these particular muffins I literally lived on while breast-feeding (and expressing) Smushie.

2016-06-12 01.20.22

These muffins are packed full of nutrients to help with breastfeeding, giving a boost of protein and essential fatty acids from the walnuts and LSA. In particular, LSA (ground mix of linseeds, sunflower seeds and almonds) provides the essential fatty acids omega-3 and omega-6, B vitamins and fiber. It contains no wheat, gluten, artificial colours, preservatives or chemical additives - a great product to have in your home!

You can get LSA from most health food shops and supermarkets today (pictured below).

This recipe also contain no refined sugar and is one of my one-bowl wonders - it's not fancy but it sure is fast - just add, mix and bake!!

2016-06-11 23.54.55

Ingredients:


3 bananas


1 and 1/4 cups of whole-meal flour


3 tablespoons of  LSA


1 tsp of baking powder


1 tablespoon of honey


2 tablespoon of olive oil


1 x 70g packet of walnut pieces


1 tsp vanilla essence


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 180°C and grease 12-hole muffin tin (or mini-muffin tin)
2. Mash the banana with a folk, and put in a large bowl

2016-06-12 00.23.54

3. Add everything else and mix together.

2016-06-12 00.35.52

4. Bake for approximately 20mins – makes 12 large muffins - enjoy while hot straight from the oven (or these freeze really well!)

2016-06-12 01.19.17 cropped

 xxx Dr Julie Bhosale

Comments

  1. Hi Julie,
    great blog you have! I am a 4year old mum and belly is still there with stripes all over and hanging around...I would love to try some recipes from your blog, they sound really delicious. I just have one question regarding ground LSA. As I am from Austria there is no shop here which is selling Ground LSA. But we have all the ingredients here to buy. May I ask you, could you please guess/tell me what is the mixture ratio of it, that I can mix it here on my own to have an Austrian look-alike-LSA? :-)
    Thanks a lot in advance!!
    Martina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Martina! Yes LSA is made up of 50% Linseeds, 33% Sunflower seeds and 17% almonds!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this recipe a few weeks ago and love it, these are great to grab on the go finding them very filling while having to BF my very hungry 5 week old. Starting making mini ones for my 2.5 year old because the usual size was too big for her. Thank you for posting the recipe. I've shared this with a number of other mums with babies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Leonie!! So glad they work for you (I basically lived on these while breastfeeding!!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. ңello, I log on to yoսr blogs regularly. Your humoristic
    style іs awesome, keep dοing what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I use spelt or Teff flour,or coconut flour??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spelt should be fine, not sure about coconut flour as its a different texture - let me know if you try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. […] P.S I have loads of easy snack recipes on the blog as well such as my Banana, Walnut & LSA Muffins! […]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spiced Meat Loaf

Homemade Boysenberry Gummies

Starting Solids - The Meat Question?