Sugar Free Banana and Date Cake

This was a late night creation of mine! Had some old bananas to use up and hubby felt like some banana cake so I thought I would try a bit of a different twist making one with no sugar!! I did warn him that there was a high possibility it would not turn out and would not be very sweet. He went back for seconds which says enough really!

Cake plain

In this recipe I have used dates as a natural sweetener. Dates have surprisingly high amount of essential vitamins and minerals, plus have that extra fibre which helps with your gut health. Although still high in natural sugar (fructose and dextrose), dates are a better alternative from raw sugar.

I first made this in a loaf tin as I was not sure how it would work out but the end product you will find light just like a cake. The second time I made it (as the first one just disappeared in our house) I made it in a cake tin and as you can see it worked perfectly!!

Made from simple ingredients that you will have at home this is perfect to make in the evening and have as a warm dessert straight out of the oven and left overs (if there are any) make a great lunch box idea for the next day.

Like with a lot of my recipes I will pre-warn those who are still working on reducing their sugar this is not a sweet cake. You could add some cinnamon to the mixture to help with the taste if you are previously used to a lot of sugar.

Cake hands

Ingredients:


1 egg


60g butter (softened)


2 Cups of wholemeal plain flour


3-4 bananas, mashed (ripe works best)


2 tsp of baking powder


½ tsp of baking soda


½ C of pitted dates, finely chopped


½ C of milk (you may need a touch more to make sure mixture is moist, just add slowly at the end)


Directions:


1. Preheat the oven to 180ÂșC and grease a cake tin.
2. Cream the butter and egg together in a mixing bowl and add 1 tablespoon of flour (and mix in).
3. Add in the dates, banana, flour, baking soda and baking powder into the bowl and mix together. Add the milk and gently fold together.
4. Place the mixture into a pre-greased loaf tin or cake tin and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

 

You can also jazz this up a bit with a dark chocolate ganache and sprinkles if you are extra creative (or have children that love this part of cake making!).


Cake Smushie


2016-08-18 22.06.43


2016-08-18 20.54.03


For more pure and simple recipes check out my other blogs and join my online community (it is free just enter your email up the top, right hand side)


xxx Dr Julie Bhosale

 

 

Comments

  1. Hi Julie

    Thought you might like to add this to the recipe for anyone else whose lactose intolerant :-)

    As my daughter and I are both lactose intolerant I used the Anchor Zero Lacto Milk for this recipe and I substituted the butter with coconut oil. Worked out great and very delicious.

    I also used 1/2 coconut flour and 1/2 wholemeal flour. Might try using all coconut flour next time to make it glutton free.

    Thanks
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Toni!

    Thank you so much those are fantastic suggestions! I try and keep all my recipes really simple so that can be easily adjusted to suit individual needs and of course to keep improving them - great to know that this recipe can be lactose free and gluten free! I am keen to try with coconut flour now too :) x Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The children love this cake and it's so easy to make thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tracy, thank you for your feedback! So glad your children love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can this cake be frozen without being dry after defrosting?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great question! I have never frozen the whole cake (just as it doesn't last hehe) but I have frozen pieces of it for snacks/morning tea (our toddler loves it!) and it has been fine, the dates really help to keep it moist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. Going to try freezing it and will let you know how it turns out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have just made this and poured the mixture into muffin cases. Hope it works this is my first attempt at sugar free!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! How did they turn out? x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Made a smaller loaf version.
    1c flour. 1 mashed banana. 1+1/2 t ginger powder
    1 egg 1t baking powder 1 t baking soda 1/2 cup dates 60g butter 2/3 c raisins 3 t coconut

    Method as per yours. Sprinkle top with coconut. (Trying for a fruit cake so added raisins.) Bake 150°C for about 60 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. […] we know we are very lucky. To start educating our boys about cancer this year we made a cake (my Sugar-Free Banana and Date Cake) together and took it to the Skin Institute in Silverdale, local to us and the amazing staff, […]

    ReplyDelete
  12. […] the end, I did a combination of Dr. Julie Bhosale’s Sugar Free Banana and Date Cake and the BBC Good Food Sugar-free Banana Cake. It uses very few ingredients as well as ingredients […]

    ReplyDelete
  13. Made this earlier, made 10 big muffins and they're deliciously sweet! I can't believe there is no sugar in this recipe! Not even coconut or any stevia or anything. Feeling pretty proud of myself! Sent one over to my neighbour who was thrilled to get a guilt free treat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spiced Meat Loaf

Homemade Boysenberry Gummies

Starting Solids - The Meat Question?