Comparing Cheesecakes!

blog-long

My hubby LOVES cheese cake, it is his go to dessert. Mine is always chocolate cake, however anything with the word ‘cake’ and I am right in there too. We all have our weak spots! After many married years, I was finally successful in developing a healthy, but easy cheesecake with my new Lemon, Ginger and Blueberry Cheesecake – made with the help of the Ginger Stem Nairns Oat Biscuits...fast track from this original post and I have combined both my loves (chocolate and cheesecake)....to create a Mini No-Bake Cheesecake creation from the Chocolate Nairns Oat Biscuits.

Below I have analysed both of my cheesecake creations in comparison to two popular premade options from Sara Lee and Crofters.

Let us have a little look (all nutrients listed here are per 100g for comparison and you may need to turn your phone sideways to see full table).












































Energy (Kj)


Sugar (g) Carbohydrate(g)Fat (g)Protein (g)
 Mini Chocolate Cheesecake 1687 5.8 19 36 4.1
Lemon, Ginger & Blueberry Cheesecake

1529


4.117305.2

Sara Lee


137022.53619

3



Crofters


1240293814

5.5



The differences between the pre-made cheesecakes and my creations are very clear. In particular the reduced sugar content is quite obvious. Interesting enough, my cheese cakes are not completely sugar free! Rather I did not add any sugar to the filling and the Nairns Oat Biscuits have 40% less sugar than your standard biscuit (you can read my full review here). In regards to the fat content my creation is also a lot higher (hence the higher energy amount), however this is only advantageous in terms of sustainable energy and reduced blood sugar (and subsequent insulin) spikes.

These nutritional differences are highlighted more when you look at the actually ingredients. Now I have not use completely whole foods. I have created my recipe using some packaged options (the oatcakes and cream cheese for example). However I have also packed full this cheesecake with nutrition dense foods like oats, coconut milk, eggs and lemons. As you can see from the photo below, all the pre-made options are very high in preservatives, emulsifiers and natural colours. Currently research is emerging showing associations between these added ingredients and gastro-intestinal discomfort, behaviour issues (especially in children) and decreased immunity.

2016-11-21-14-29-30

However, the proof really is in the pudding. When I first took the photograph for this blog, with my slightly rustic looking homemade cheesecake next to one of the pre-made options...I thought forget the science and forget the numbers just looking at them I can instantly tell which one that I would want to eat, which one makes my mouth water…oh and did I mention how good it smelt when baking in the oven?

ig

I had three (hubby included) boys jumping up and down waiting in anticipation for this....make that twice over with both of my creations.

Knowledge is power, and while I know just how tricky it can be to get time in the kitchen when you are covered in children – I hope that my simple healthy creation inspires you dust off your cake tin and do some baking!

Nairns Oat Bisuits are available at your local supermarket and you can follow them on Facebook and Instagram. You may also like to check out my Healthier Hedgehog Slice made with Nairns Chocolate Oat Biscuits, which is also low in sugar, high in nutrients and requires no baking.

Happy Creating!

xxx Dr Julie Bhosale

Comments

  1. OMG yum! I want to make this asap, I actually don't even like cheesecakes (too heavy on the dairy) but ginger and blueberries combo and I'm sold

    ReplyDelete
  2. […] previously done a full review on these which you can read here. Plus, you can check out the full nutritional breakdown of this cheesecake in my next blog, and see how this creation of mine stacks up to some of the popular pre-brought cheesecake options. […]

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is actually not too bad dairy wise either with the coconut cream - the blueberries cut through it too! Guess what dessert will be next time you are up :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spiced Meat Loaf

Homemade Boysenberry Gummies

Starting Solids - The Meat Question?